Seeing Isabel & Real Ale = Happy Mammy!
Distance: 6.8km Ascent: 120m
I woke up very excited - Alistair was bringing Isabel to Braemar and I
was looking forward to seeing her! As I was packing I got a text from
Alistair saying they would be there at 11am - knowing Alistair's time
keeping I guessed they would arrive closer to 11:30!
| Ballroom at Mar Lodge |
After taking pictures of the ballroom I headed off down the road aiming to have breakfast before Isabel arrived.
| Mar Lodge |
On the walk down I noticed the amount if snow on the Cairngorn's and began worrying about my planned route out of Callater on Monday. Would there be too much snow? If so would it be better to go to Ballater and spend my birthday there so I could go over Mount Keen instead. I decided to discuss it with Alistair later...
| View from the road into Braemar |
As I approached Braemar I caught up with Russ and Herman and went for breakfast with them. I had a very nice bacon butty and coffee. Alistair got in touch to say he would arrive at 11:30. I went to Braemar Mountain Sports to replace my leaking water bottle. When I came out I spotted Alistair and Isabel! It was great to see them both.
After lunch we took Isabel to meet the Challengers in the Fife Arms. Isabel met lots of people including Ali, Andrew, Alan, John D, Andy, JJ, Louise and Jim. She became friends with Carl as he tickled her tummy! It was a good afternoon. JJ suggested that we get a lift to Callater and then return to Braemar before going to Ballater on Sunday. I was slightly unsure it would seem odd getting lift in the middle of the challenge! We set off to our B &B to let Isabel have a nap and get clean. I arranged to met JJ at the pub at 9pm.
Later that evening I went to the Moorfield I was early so got a pint of Trade Winds and started chatted to Russ and various other Challengers. I checked out the music but it was too 'old' for me - I missed Bingo Wings with their late 90's early 00's indie music. I returned to the bar and joined Alan, Carl, Gordon, Andrew and others. At about 9:40pm I realised JJ had still not turned up. I sent text him to see why he stood me up on our 'date'. He texted back to say he'd fallen asleep! He eventually arrived with Louise after 10pm.
I enjoyed more beer and chatting to everyone. At some point there was a vote as to whether I should go to Callater it was unanimous! It was a good night with great company and excellent real ale. I left the pub at 12am to return to the B&B where Alistair was waiting to let me in. Alistair wished me a Happy Birthday before we fell asleep!
I enjoyed more beer and chatting to everyone. At some point there was a vote as to whether I should go to Callater it was unanimous! It was a good night with great company and excellent real ale. I left the pub at 12am to return to the B&B where Alistair was waiting to let me in. Alistair wished me a Happy Birthday before we fell asleep!
I missed Bingo Wings too...
ReplyDeleteBut the beer at the Moorfield is SO much better than the Fife.
I think Isabel stole the show at the Fife - a real charmer.
:-)
Trade Winds is a fantastic beer. Generally I prefer anywhere that does real ale! The food at the Moorfield is also great - I had my birthday dinner there in 2010.
DeleteIsabel is hoping to steal the show at the Fife again next year - if Daddy is luckily in the draw!
Ah, the tummy tickle - what a little beauty she is.
ReplyDeleteYup, the music was dire - but thankfully the company was grand. Staggered down the lane with Morpeth and Mr Sloman I recall - I believe that Alan had a blister which was hampering progress, or was it the booze?
No, it was Croydon.
DeleteYes the company was great!
DeleteIf you can't tell Croyden from Morpeth you must have been drunk!
Nowt wrong with gettign a lift ... as long as you get a lift back. Hell, I took the sleeper to London, in order to attend my Union AGM (NOT a dinner engagement ...) mid-challenge this year :-)
ReplyDelete