Friday, 22 June 2012

TGO Challenge 2012 Day 12: Waters of Unich to Tarfside


Sunshine, bacon butties and the Mason Arms
Distance: 17.3km Ascent: 420m

I woke up at 6am decided I was still very tired and went back to sleep until 7am.  At 7am after around 10 hours sleep I decided I really should get going.  My main motivation to get going was bacon butties and a shower at Tarfside.  So shortly after 8 I set off to continue along the Waters of Unich to the Falls of Damff.  Those who have been following my blog may have noticed one thing I need always forget to take a picture of my wild camping spot!  So here is where I slept last night  minus my tent!

My tent was on the right of the river
It was a nice walk along the river if occasionally a bit overgrown. I didn’t see anyone else, although there was an empty landrover  that had forded the river so presumably some one from the estate was at work. 
Ruins at Waters of Unich
I crossed the bridge over the falls and headed steeply up hill .  
Bridge at Falls of Damff
After some more peat hags I reached the top of Cairn Lick and the vehicle track down to Loch Lee.The track was quite steep but afforded good views down to Loch Lee.  I kept an eye out for challengers on the vehicle track and was surprised not to see anyone – it turns out it was too early.  

Loch Lee from Cairn Lick

View from Cairn Lick
Eventually as I reached  the bottom of the track I saw two Challengers talking a rest near Loch Lee.  I remember thinking at the time the looks like Alan but given my eyesight is that good I assumed it probably wasn’t.  After crossing the bridge  I was close enough to see it actually was Alan & Peter.  They had been watching me come down the Shank of Inchgrundle.  I joined them for a long rest whilst various Challengers caught us up.  We all wandered pretty much on mass to the other side of the Loch where there is a great little lunch spot.

I then set off walking with Alan & Peter for Tarfside.  We walked along the road and then through the fields.  At some point Andrew caught so up.  Then Alan started playing catch up and headed off quickly to catch up the Challengers in front.  He easily managed this then clearly sensing the bacon in Tarfside headed off at such a speed we didn’t see him until Tarfside.   Not that long after and Andrew also sped off for bacon butties.  Have flatlanders got a better sense of smell?  Me and Peter clearly couldn't yet smell the bacon so continued at a more normal pace into Tarfside.  When I arrived  I Andrew, Alan and Carl were already enjoying bacon butties.  It was great to see Ann and Alvar again.  After quickly having bacon and tea and being well looked after I opted to grap a shower before everyone else arrived.  I then joined Russ, Herman, Andrew, Alan and Carl outside the hostel  and whiled a way an hour or so in the sun before heading down to the village field to set up my tent.
Tent city early on in the afternoon
It’s always fun at the camping field in Tarfside catching up with challengers you haven’t seen for awhile.  We spent time watching Dave try to pitch his Atko – I think it took about half an hour.  I ordered food from the retreat.  It did take a whle for them to return this year so it was probably 8pm when I joined everyone in the Mason’s.  It was a fun night. 

Lindsay & Peter
Alan & Andrew
JJ and Louise arrived from Ballater around 9ish.  Late into the evening we also decided to serenade Alan with his favourite song ‘Stand by you Man’.  Phil had suggested it , various Challengers   were despatched to provide JJ with the words and so around 11ish we were all able to cheer Alan up with this delight – below is his face upon realising what we were singing.  Doesn’t he look pleased :)! 

Stand by your man...
After a great night chatting to everyone I headed to bed around 12ish.

3 comments:

  1. I'll give you "Stand by your man!" indeed... That song haunted me for the entire length of my four month LEJOG...

    Phil only had to start the "Dum de dum de dum de" and it was fixed in my bonce for days.

    Flatlanders have indeed a fine appreciation of pork products but perhaps an even finer appreciation for the fine lagers of Mr Carling... It was a hot day and refreshments were required.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'JJ and Louise arrived from Ballater around 9ish'....I'll have to speak to that young lady, she needs to slow down!

    I must admit to having thought that we arrived even later than that - 9ish doesn't sound quite so bad.

    Al: Do the words 'fine lagers' and 'Carling' belong in the same sentence? Mind you, it WAS a hot day....

    JJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The world fine shouldn't be next to lager at all. Fine ales however are very good!

      JJ - It could have been closer to 10pm I thought it was closer to 9 but I had been drinking!

      Alan - You enjoyed the song really!

      Delete