Sunshine, Ice cream and Real Ale
Distance: 26.1km Ascent: 140m
I woke up around 6 and looked out of my tent – there was something odd… Eventually I realised the tent next door to me had already left! The guy was clearly a very early starter. I had a rather leisurely start in Tarfside chatting to everyone on the camping field. As a result I wasn’t ready to leave until around 9am.
Previously I’d walked directly down the vehicle track along the river from Tarfside. However today I really need a coffee so I decided to head to the Retreat (I didn’t realise that St Dronstans also do breakfast!) So after a short walk along the road I came to the Retreat. I’d never been before but it did look like they did nice breakfasts. As I’m not a big breakfast fan I had a very nice filter coffee. With my caffeine fix sorted I set off along the road to try and work out which bridge was the correct one. Before setting off I had asked several people and been been told a different bridge each time. So aiming for either bridge 1 or bridge 2 or bridge 3, I set off along the road. I found the right bridge and continued along the vehicle track.
I woke up around 6 and looked out of my tent – there was something odd… Eventually I realised the tent next door to me had already left! The guy was clearly a very early starter. I had a rather leisurely start in Tarfside chatting to everyone on the camping field. As a result I wasn’t ready to leave until around 9am.
Previously I’d walked directly down the vehicle track along the river from Tarfside. However today I really need a coffee so I decided to head to the Retreat (I didn’t realise that St Dronstans also do breakfast!) So after a short walk along the road I came to the Retreat. I’d never been before but it did look like they did nice breakfasts. As I’m not a big breakfast fan I had a very nice filter coffee. With my caffeine fix sorted I set off along the road to try and work out which bridge was the correct one. Before setting off I had asked several people and been been told a different bridge each time. So aiming for either bridge 1 or bridge 2 or bridge 3, I set off along the road. I found the right bridge and continued along the vehicle track.
| Views from the vehicle track |
| River North Esk |
Part way along I found Peter,
Russ and Herman all taking a break in the sun .
I opted to join them for a short while.
Vicki also joined us and we discussed crossing the Larig Ghru in 2009 in
the particularly stormy weather we had that year.
| View from the rest spot |
| Herman relaxing in the sun |
I left Russ, Herman and Vicki to continue
their break and headed on. I eventually
caught up with Peter and walked along the river with Peter for a while. We stopped at the grassy spot near the Rocks
of Solitude for lunch and Peter opted to sunbath.
After lunch I head on along the tracks and then path Edzell. My first port of call was the Tuck Inn. I was surprised there were few challengers
here but I suspect I was earlier than most.
I had a Kaleidoscope ice cream which was fantastic!
| The Kaleidoscope ice cream |
I was joined by Ian C who was having his main meal. I left to go and get some more money. Ian had told me the shop at the far end of
Edzell does cash back. I asked the shop owner how much
I needed to spend - £5. Looking at their
real ale and wine I decided on 2 bottles of Trade Winds. So with a much heavier bag I set off over the
bridge towards North Water Bridge. It’s
not long before I had to join the road to North Water Bridge and spend around an hour walking along
dodging lorries and fast cars
| Edzell Airfield |
Eventually
I got to North Water Bridge. Looking at
the campsite I realised I was one of the early arrivals (although not as early
as the guy who left Tarfside at 5am!).
By the time everyone else arrived I was clean, fed and was starting to
sample one of the Trade Winds!.
Eventually I was joined by Russ, Herman and Carl who all set up camp
near by! This was only after Herman had
expressed some doubts as to whether I might snore. I would have told him off but after day 5 but
man can do no wrong! As the late afternoon
turned to evening the camp-site filled with challengers. A few of us
took up residences on one of the tables and started sampling our various
beers, whiskys and left over food.
Around 8pm Alistair drove over from the cottage he was staying at in
Brechin and join us. He’d also brought
more beer!
| Edwin, Carl, Dave, Alistair, Ian & ? at North Water Bridge |
| Tents at North Water Bridge |
| Even more tents at North Water Bridge |
I
remember spending most of the night talking to Andrew and Carl and then being
joined by Ian C and Nik later on. I retired to my tent around midnight. Andrew and Nik stayed up keeping everyone camped aroud the table up
until much later
It's all a lie. Nik and I did not stay up talking ludicrously kate.
ReplyDeleteApparently Jim heard it all and memorised it.
I hate to think what his soliloquy (sp?) at Callater next time might be.
I cannot remember any of it :)
I'm afraid you were up that late Andrew! I will have to ask Alistair to record Jim's soliloquy next year so I can hear what you were discussing so late!
DeleteIt was nice to see so many challengers that evening, although it was a little strange not to actually have been walking it!
ReplyDeleteThanks for bringing more beer!
DeleteThe chap sitting behind Ian C is Nigel Campbell.
ReplyDelete