Saturday, 9 June 2012

TGO Challenge 2012: Day 7 Kinguisse to Ruighaiteachain Bothy

More Dry Waders and meeting challengers old and new

Distance: 18.1km  Ascent: 340m

After a very nice breakfast I set off in the pouring rain towards the Barracks.  After following the road to Tromie Bridge I turned off the road into the forest.  Along the forest tracks I caught up with Ken, Nina and Jim and began walking with them.  At one point we spotted a very young chick just off the path.

The very small chick


 After the forest we came came to an opening where we crossed the Allt Fhearnasdair. 

Allt Fhearnasdair

Near Allt Fhearnasdair
We then re-entered the forest.  As it was drizzling I stopped in the forest to have lunch whilst Nina and Ken were having a break.  We then all carried on along the forest tracks to find the bridge over the Feshie.  The Feshie looked very full and we were glad we didn't need to ford the river.  


We pressed on along the path on the East side of the Feshie.  It was significantly more boggy than when I last walked this way on 2008's Challenge in glorious sunshine.  At one point we came across a deep stream.  As we had only one set of dry waders and no Herman, Ken kindly threw the dry waders back to Nina and me to keep our feet dry.  Shortly after this Ken and Nina stopped to have their lunch and I pressed on.
After crossing a very more streams via some precaurious logs I reached the bothy.  In the bothy,  Jim was just finishing his break and I met Carl Mynott who had come from Kincraig.  At this point I was still trying to decide  whether to press on or not!  In the next hour various challengers came and went.  At some point after Stevie and Gordon Green arrived I found myself pitching my tent - I think it was Stevie and Carl's suggestion.  Carl made a attempt and getting the fire going and managed for a small while before it started dying.  After this Stevie started to prove the fire skills he had been telling us about the night before and got a good fire going with very wet wood.  Though out the rest of the afternoon and early evening, a large number of Challengers arrived and set up camp.  I spent that time cooking tea and chatting about the challenge so far.  Later in the evening Croydon and Morpeth arrived it was good to see them both as I hadn't see them for a while.  


It was a very nice evening and reminded me very much of 2008 when I had a good time and also met a lot of new faces at the bothy.  I retired relatively early tired from a few cumulative nights of socialising!

5 comments:

  1. I made the mistake of pressing on past the bothy. Camping sites were few and far between. It was a tough walk through the Glen. I was glad to come out the other side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, the famous fire-starting shenanigans. I take credit for all of the warmth - from tiny acorns, mighty oaks will grow.

    Seem to remember that Grant (surname escapes me) arrive with 4.5 tonne of logs and 1 tonne of kindling, which might have helped.

    I think that was where I noticed you had been hugging peat bogs with your snazzy jacket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is where you noticed my coat - I think it may have been the second thing you ever said to me after introducing yourself!

      You still seem determined to claim credit for the fire!

      Delete
  3. If it's the same Stevie then I can vouch for his fire-starting skills. He lit a roaring blaze in Glas Allt Shiel bothy in 2011; quite possibly my wettest day that year, so the fire was very welcome. Carl - stop pretending you can light fires. You should be writing up your Challenge report instead!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd walked from Glen Truim campsite with a couple of lads that day, Grant being one of them. I was suffering a lot by the time we hit Glen Feshie, and had slipped crossing a feeder stream and had to crawl out of the water. Halfway up the glen we found that sack of logs and a huge bag of kindling. Grant just swung it up onto the top of his (already 65lb plus) pack and carried on walking as though it was nothing. I didn't make it into the bothy that night, I just put up the tent and crashed. shame, sounds like it was a good night.

    ReplyDelete