Thursday, 21 June 2012

TGO Challenge 2012 Day 11: Loch Callater Lodge to Waters of Unich

Snowy Munros and fun crossing peat hags and boggy!

Distance: 23.5km Ascent: 1050m

I woke up early around 6am as people were chatting near my tent and then desperately tried to get back to sleep until 7am.  I then decided as JJ was planning to leave shortly after 7am I should get up and thank him for the effort he had put into making my birthday great.  JJ was up and having tea.  Jeanette was kindly cooking a huge pile for bacon for everyone  who had stopped the night, whilst Bill ensured there was plenty of tea to go around. JJ left shortly half 7 and I started to pack up.  After more tea and chatting to everyone as they got ready to go I set off after 9am.  I quickly caught up with Alan, Andrew and Peter who were taking a break a short way up Carn ant-Sagairt Mor.  I overtook them aiming for a rest further up on some rocks I remembered being there when I went up Carn an t-Sagairt Mor in 2008.  As I climbed I had great views of Loch Callater. 
Loch Callater
I rested at the rocks and was joined by Andrew.  We enjoyed some of my kendal mint cake. This was by far and away the best food I carried this year - it was the only food I really looked forward to! I must remember to bring even more in 2014!   As I was thinking about setting off we were caught up by Alan & Peter who we offered our seats to.



Alan & Peter taking a break
I also got a photo of Andrew.  Now pay careful attention here Andrew carefully rearranged his hair before I took this shot to ensure he was at his best!  I'm sure he'd appreciate it if you all notice the effort he went to!
Andrew with his styled hair
A short distance up I caught up with Di, Charles and Keith who were enjoying fantastic views of the Cairngorns. 
On the way up Carn an t-Sagairt Mor
I then pushed on myself for a while only to be caught up by Keith, Chales, Di, Carl and Andrew whilst refilling my camelbak.  We all walked together over the odd patch of snow until the turn off for Cairn Bannoch.  At this point me, Keith, Di and Charles were heading for Cairn Bannoch.  Andrew and Carl were clearly very tempted to join us but decided not to - you both missed 2 fantastic hills!

View towards Cairn Bannoch
Towards Cairn Bannoch
I set off head of the others enjoying kicking steps in the snow where it allowed and occasionally sinking in to the snow where it was too soft.  There had clearly been someone head of my as some of the way I was following their footprints.  I reached the top just before 12.  I was shortly joined by Ian C, Charles, Di and Keith.  We all stopped for a leisurely lunch on the summit in the sunshine.
Cairn Bannoch
View towards Carn an t-Sagairt Mor
Keith, Di and Charles on Cairn Bannoch

After lunch we all set off for Broad Cairn.  Whilst there was some snow patches there were considerably less than on the way up Cairn Bannoch and the snow on the surrounding hills didn't look like it would last much longer.  Me and Ian approached the summit together, clambering over rocks to the top.  The views were fantastic.

Loch Muick from Broad Cairn

Broad Cairn
View from Broad Cairn
Shortly after Di, Keith and Charles arrived and we had a quick break before beginning the descent.  The descent was down a number of boulder fields.  I don't really like boulder fields especially when descending so I took it relatively slow.  Ian seemed to jump down and in no time at all he was on the track to the pony hut.  After crossing one boulder field I thought I reached the track then hit another.  The second time that happened I swore at the boulder field. It got it's revenge by doing the same trick a third time.

Eventually I made the track and had a quick break at the pony hut.  After this I headed off towards Sandy Hillock.  There is now a track to the summit so it is relatively easy until that point.  After that it was just lots of peat hags and navigating between various small hills. I generally enjoy climbing over peat hags which was good as there was going to be an lot more of that this afternoon!


Peat hags on the way to Waters of Unich
After what seemed like forever ascending and descending peat hags to climb minor hills I decided to ignore my vetters suggestion of going over the hills and head straight through a bealach to the Water of Unichs.  This still involved a lot more peat hags.  In the glorious sunshine that day the route felt very remote and pleasant.  If the weather had been less kind however I don't think it would have been that enjoyable - probably a route to avoid in wetter, cloudier conditions.  Eventually at around 6pm I reached the Waters of Unich after around 4 hours of peat hags.

Finally reaching the Waters of Unich
When I go to the Waters I was already quite tired, partial because of the terrain, but mainly because of the lack of sleep at Callater last night!   I decided to push on until around 7pm then find a suitable stop to set up camp. The river made for much easier walking as it was surrounded by tufty grass rather than peat hags.   By 7:20 I had seen no flat spots for camping so I opted for a slightly less tufty area of grass (but still very tufty!) and set up my tent.  I was so tired that at 8:30 I found myself falling asleep holding my hot chocolate.  I quickly finished off my hot chocolate and went to sleep.  A good sleep would set me up for tomorrow night's festivities!


5 comments:

  1. You enjoy peat hags? Oh well, it takes all sorts. Sounds like you had a good day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I think I may have spent too much time in the Peak District getting use to peak hags

      Delete
  2. What a splendid day.
    And yes, Andy is rather precious about his hair, isn't he?
    :-)
    We went that exact route on our Cheese & Wine day in 2010 - except there were ten of us at your campspot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that walk! So good I've done it twice! Or maybe thrice (memory slowly going). Gloriously remote spot to camp, although the last time I was there a bunch of unruly characters turned up to partake of various illicit substances that they referred to in their street argot as "cheese".

    I still have flashbacks.

    ReplyDelete