Tuesday, 5 June 2012

TGO Challenge 2012 Day 5: Luib Chonnal Bothy to Laggan

8 Challengers, 3 sets of Dry Walkers and Herman!

Distance: 29km  Ascent: 430m


Last night we'd discussed how we all needed to cross the river outside the bothy in the morning which was very full that evening.  I think we'd all crossed our fingers and hoped the river level would drop.  Well to some extent it had worked - but the river was still fairly full.  I spend some time considering whether to cross in crocs or boots before accepting my boots were so wet anyway...  It was around this time that either Russ or Herman (in the true challenger spirit) suggested that they would ferry Lou and Phyllis's Dry walkers across the river to ensure everyone's feet remained dry. So here is the logistics of the Luib Chonnal river crossing
1) Herman carries his own pack across the river and returns
2) Herman carries Lou's pack across the river and returns
3) Herman carries Phyllis's pack across the river and returns; Russ also uses the other dry walkers to cross
4) Herman and Phyllis cross the river and returns
At the same time Jim Davison decides to cross via some very slippery rocks and makes it with dry feet, unlike day 2
5) At this point Nina emerges with her dry walkers so Herman, me and Lou cross the river, Herman returns
6) Herman, Nina and Ken all cross the river.

I probably can't do justice to the Challenge camaraderie involved in ensuring everyone crossed safely and with dry feet nor to how much of a gentleman Herman is for crossing the river 12 times to ensure we kept our feet dry!  He is a true Challenger! 
Herman leads me and Lou across the river.  Photo with kind permission of Ken Stimson

After we'd all crossed a very boggy section together we reached the slightly better path.  I continued to walk with Jim Davidson towards Shesgnan.  Jim was hoping it was a bothy to adjust his footwear in.  After crossing a number of streams and boggy sections we got to Shesgnan.  Unfortunately the hut was locked and belonged to a Club.  Luckily Jim found a couple of plastic chairs round the back of hut so we sat down for a break.  We were joined my Nina, Ken, Russ and Herman and could see Lou and Phylis making good progress in the distance.

Ken, Nina and Jim at Shesgnan
Me and Jim pushed on along the vehicle track to Melgave bothy.  When we arrived I met John Dingwall who was enjoying a leisurely break.  It was good to catch up with John who I had last seen in 2010 when visiting Alistair on the Challenge whilst I was pregnant.  After lunch me and Jim decided to press on towards Garva Bridge.  Despite the good weather shown in the photos we kept being caught in short hail showers.  Garva Bridge was meant to be my stop point for the evening but as I was on my FWA I decided to press on Laggan.  I hoped to get into the pottery bunkhouse so I could get clean after yesterday otherwise I would camp at the Monadhliath Hotel.
View from Garva Bridge
On the road walk to Laggan we met Ali Oughton who was driving up to give Dave Albion a new airbed.  As I wasn't sure whether I was passing through the hostel she gave us cakes - I had the Oat Biscuit it was delicious!  Ali also warned me that the bunkhouse may not be taking people turning up spec - I wish I'd listened and just camped - but I was keen to get clean and surely they would want custom...I tried to call the bunkhouse on route to no avail..But more on that story later. We carried on enjoying the scenery and some company.

I said goodbye to Jim at the hotel.  He was planning to camp.  I pressed on for 5 minutes to the bunkhouse.  I arrived shortly before 5 and asked about staying as well as buying tea and cake (the tea and cake are still very good!).  The owner of the bunkhouse arrived and told me they don't like people arriving with out phoning (the signs outside advertising the place indicated it was open). But I was ALLOWED to stay.. Later when Ken and Nina arrived we were given long lecture on why she didn't like running the bunkhouse.  She really hadn't got the hang of hospitality.  Clearly it was time she let someone else run the bunkhouse.  It was a shame the facilities were very nice and it was a great setting.

I walked back to the hotel with Nina and Ken.  It was a nice evening in the pub.  My favourite moment was meeting some challengers (I never got their names to my shame).  The female of whom was a first timer and previously tee total but turned up at the Old Forge and decided her coffee need a brandy.  She then took to drinking brandy and lemonade on the challenge!   Only on the Challenge could you get a tee totaller driven to alcohol and one wonderful man prepared to cross a river 12 times to keep fellow Challengers feet dry!!!



5 comments:

  1. A grinny sort of day. Good company and a bed and beer at the end of it too.
    Onwards!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a great day which I will remember for a long time to come!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lynsey, Andrea was the tee total challenger who took to drinking brandy in the Old Forge, and then every pub on the way across!! I think I may need to check her pack on future backpacking trips for a secret stash of brandy. Lol.
    Regards,
    Dave & Andrea (55 & 56)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave & Andrea

      Sorry I never got your names! It was very nice to meet you both.

      Andrea - Get a plastic hip flask from backpackinglight.co.uk - it will make carrying the brandy easier!

      Lynsey

      Delete
  4. Lynsey, she only needs a spent water bottle!

    Herman, a wonderful person. Unassuming. Funny. Kind. Interesting. The perfect accompaniment for a Russ Mannion!

    ReplyDelete