Distance: 21.1km Ascent: 350m
Russ had last night been discussing what he called the 'Gentleman's route' to Kinguisse. This seemed to involve visiting as many tea shops on the way to Newtonmore as possible, visiting Ali at the hostel then following the cycle track to Kinguissie. I decided Russ's route sounded like an excellent idea. Not least because I would get to see Ali and her's and Sue's hostel. I had last seen it in 2004 when a group of us stayed in Newtonmore for New Year. I set off from the bunkhouse quite early at 8 which meant I was well ahead of anyone else and also to early for more tea and cake here. The route followed minor roads all the way to Glen Truim campsite.
| Views from the minor road |
| Memorial near Mains of Glen Truim |
| River Trui |
The weather was sunny with intermittent hail which meant I was constantly stopped to change clothing. At Glen Truim I started to follow the cycle path alongside the A6. A little way along this I came across the Ralia cafe. It was 11am but I saw they were doing a butternut squash soup which sounded significantly more appetising than my lunch. So I decided to have an early lunch. It was delicious. If you are ever walking this way do not walk past - this place is well worth visiting!
I continued along the road into Newtonmore, admiring the views of the mountains in the distance. I was the first Challenger to arrive at the Newtonmore hostel that day. Ali, Kate and Neil offered me tea and cake. Val and her husband arrived and regaled us with stories of the cheese and wine party the previous night. Ali then showed us all round the hostel. The hostel was even nicer than in 2004. We met with Willem and Leendert who were taking a rest day in the hostel.. Eventually after catching upp with Ali and being given even more tea and oat biscuits to take away, I decided it was time to head on. I set off and as I was very full I skipped the tea shops in the centre of Newtonmore. However by the time I reached the outskirts the sizeable amount of tea meant I needed the ladies. Fortunately I was near the Folk Museum - it advertised free entrance and a tea shop. So I went in and had a hot chocolate and visited the ladies! I also had a quick look round. The museum is very good - I think I will bring Isabel next year as part of the big adventure I'm planning if Alistair gets on the Challenge.
Having now had a suitable amount of cake to make up for the lack of cake over the last 5 days, I set off along the cycle path to Kinguisse. I checked into my B & B and went to the slightly expensive laundrette. Later on I at the Tipsy Laird, I met up with John Dingwall and Stevie. We were joined my various challengers from the night before. The company was good. I remember Stevie telling us how in 2011 he had made a fire out of 4 nan bread's on stormy Monday. The food was great and importantly they had real ale on tap! The hotel had yesterday had Trade Winds in bottles but as I can't get to the pub very often these days I was hoping for lots of real ale on tap. I was amazed to have to wait until Kinguisse to get some. I had Cairngorn's Sheepshagger Gold and Wild Cat. They were both very nice. I retired to bed very happy.
"I retired to bed very happy" and full of beer and cake!
ReplyDelete:-)
Yes I wonder what the maximum number of teashops/pubs it is possible to include in one day on the Challenge....Hmm maybe I'll look into it for 2014!
DeleteYeah excellent night and curry in the Tipsy Laird.
ReplyDeleteWhere have I been.
ReplyDeleteI have only just caught up with your blog.
It is your husbands fault, he keeps on blogging stuff on his.
Now I must go back to the start and find out where you went.
Alistair does blog a lot...
DeleteBeer and cake. How could any Challenge day be better? (Sorry I'm two months late reading this, but it was worth the wait.)
ReplyDelete