Sunday, 3 June 2012

TGO Challenge 2012: Day 4 Laggan Locks Hostel to Luib Chonnal Bothy

Two Carn Dearg's, a deer fence and a lot of mud!

Distance: 24.6km Ascent 1,440m

The weather forecast yesterday seemed to suggest the possibility of a lot of snow on the hills so I was slightly uncertain of what my next 2 days of planned hill bagging might hold.  I set off up the Fairy Glen with the view that I would decide at the bealach once I could get a better view of the hills.  I set off from the hostel shortly before 9 following the instructions from the hostel on the best route on the forest tracks to avoid the forestry operations.  A clearing in the forest gave good views of the munros I'd intended to climb yesterday.

View from Fairy Glen
Looking at the Munros I decided that the snow did not look low enough to effect my plans for climbing the 2 Carn Deargs so decided to stick to my planned route for today.  

After leaving the forest track, the path became boggy and indistinct but I plodded on. Then  at the top of the bealach I was slightly surprised to find a deer fence. It looked fairly new and certainly wasn't here in 2010 when Alistair came this way!  I couldn't immediately see a crossing point (I was now in the cloud) but as the fence was heading roughly in the right direction for Carn Dearg I decided to follow it for awhile to see if there was one.  After  a while I realised that the fence was no longer heading in the right direction and that there was clearly no crossing point!  I started heading towards one of the strong fence points to help me cross. Unfortunately it was surrounded by bog. A few steps in and I found myself sinking  -  I was in mud to just below my knees.  To ensure I didn't fall in any deeper I quickly threw myself backwards on to my backpack and after some thrashing around began pulling both legs out.  I was slightly pleased after a couple of minutes to get both legs out with my boots still on - I was quite worried at one point that I may lose my boots to the mud!  

I quickly retreated away from the deeper mud and after throwing myself over the deer fence stopped to assess the damage.  I was covered in mud from about the chest down over.  I was glad there was no one around to take a photo!  After finding a small pool of water I tried to clean my hands.  It was to no avail - the mud was staying put.  For the first time on the challenge I hoped for rain - instead five minutes later I got hail!  It didn't help!

I continued in the direction of the first Corbett determined to enjoy my day despite of the events.  The going was tough with peat hags in every bealach between subsidary peaks slowing progress. I also didn't want to stop as with the cold wind and muddy clothes I risked getting too cold. There was light snow above about 740m  but it was only a dusting so I continued to press on.  About 2pm  I eventually got to the summit of the first Carn Dearg.
En route to the first Carn Dearg
Summit of first Carn Dearg
I had to descend off the Corbett in more Northernly direction than planned to avoid significant accumulations of snow on some slopes.  As a result by the time saw the next Carn Dearg it was around 3pm.  By this point the cloud had finally lifted to give some good views.  Unfortunately it also showed a significant amount of snow on the Creag Meagaidh Munros I realised that tomorrow I was on my foul weather...
The second Carn Dearg

Views of Creag Meagaidh
After crossing yet more peat hags I eventually made it to summit of the second Carn Dearg. 

Summit of second Carn Dearg
From Carn Dearg I climbed over even more peat hags (yes it a BIG feature of the day) to start descending towards Glen Roy and Luib Chonnal Bothy.  On the way down I had excellent views of Creag Meigadh and Glen Roy.  Despite the days events it was a real pleasure to get such wonderful views at the end of the day!
Glen Roy
After decending steeply I eventually made the vehicle track.  It was after 5:30 at this point and the map suggested I had around 5-6km to the bothy.  It was going to be a long day!.  The track was flooded in places so by the time I got to the path to the bothy, I had wet boots to add to the muddy waterproofs and bag!  I was quite surprised to see there was no smoke coming from the chimney and wondered if I was going to be the only one there.  

It was 7pm when I arrived. I was quite pleased as a result to here people shout hello when I arrived.  After climbing upstairs I found Jim Davidson (who I'd last seen on day 2) and Ken and Nina Stimson having their dinner.   It was during tea that Russ Manion and Herman Stikvoort arrived shortly followed by Lou and Phyllis La Borwit.  We chatted for awhile about the events of Sunday. It was a very nice evening with all 8 of us in the bothy - if a little packed. The only disappointment was the comfy seats Alistair had told me about had now gone!

Lou, Herman and Ken in Luib Chonnal

4 comments:

  1. What! They've nicked the armchairs?
    That's terrible!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Given I'd included the bothy because of the tales of quality furniture I was very disappointed!

      Delete
  2. Ahhh ... that deer fence.

    It was over a year old, though, as we had to contend with it in 2011. If only you'd read our blogs before setting off, you'd have been forewarned ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew there wasn't a fence in 2010 as Alistair went into Glen Roy that year - I hadn't thought to check if they had since...

      Delete