The end is nigh ..but not before a big party in Montrose
Distance: 13.0km Ascent:180m
The time at North Water Bridges is always filled with fun
catching up with Challengers but also some sadness that such a fun event is
over and tomorrow we all return to ‘normality’.
With that in mind I packed up whilst chatting to everyone. I’d decided to finish at St Cyrus mainly
because I wanted to finish in the company of other Challengers (Johnshaven I
decided would be too quiet) and I’d never properly finished there. My 2008 certficates says I did but we
actually finished at Nether Warburton – we just didn’t know it was call that at
the time! The sign on our 2008 route said St Cyrus nature reserve so when asked where we finished we said St Cyrus...
I was ready to go at 8:35 and met Alan who was waiting for Andew. He decided not to wait any longer and we set off. It is mainly road walking all the way to St Cyrus but there are some attractive features. Alan pointed out a very posh house he would like to own. I suggested we could all camp on the rather sizable lawn instead of North Water Bridge. It also has a pool we could all cool down in! We were caught up by Ian C who walked with us for a while and occasionally left us to take his amazing pictures before catching us up again. After the Den of Morphine but before the Hill we stopped on a wall for a break. After some friendly banter with the Post Man who thought we were all mad walking across Scotland we were finally caught up by Andrew! Carl and Dave also caught us up about 5 mins after this. After a bit more of a rest we all set off up the Hill and continued along the road to St Cyrus.
I was ready to go at 8:35 and met Alan who was waiting for Andew. He decided not to wait any longer and we set off. It is mainly road walking all the way to St Cyrus but there are some attractive features. Alan pointed out a very posh house he would like to own. I suggested we could all camp on the rather sizable lawn instead of North Water Bridge. It also has a pool we could all cool down in! We were caught up by Ian C who walked with us for a while and occasionally left us to take his amazing pictures before catching us up again. After the Den of Morphine but before the Hill we stopped on a wall for a break. After some friendly banter with the Post Man who thought we were all mad walking across Scotland we were finally caught up by Andrew! Carl and Dave also caught us up about 5 mins after this. After a bit more of a rest we all set off up the Hill and continued along the road to St Cyrus.
| The road to St Cyrus |
Carl and
Dave sped off ahead of us – I’m not sure what the rush was. Surely we didn’t
smell that much! Eventually we got to
the village. Alistair had texted to say
he was on the beach with Isabel. So we
all went down the steep cliff path to the beach. Isabel was in the sea – in fact sitting in
it! Clearly she was having a fun time.
I dipped my feet in the sea and officially
completed my Challenge. We spent a while
at the sea congratulating everyone and sampling whisky. Isabel was having great
fun in the sea.
| Andrew finished his Challenge |
Eventually we headed
back up the cliffs to the café. Alan,
Andrew, Ian and various others had got on the first bus, so it was just me,
Alistair, Isabel, Carl, Dave & Bryan who were stopping for lunch. We then gave Carl and lift back to Montrose
with us.
| Carl & Bryan at the tea room |
At the Park it was great to see
Roger, John, Steph and Baby Jack at control.
I collected my certificate and had tea before we started to head back to
the campsite. I went to erect the Voyager so both me and Alistair
could stay that night whilst Alistair tried to get Isabel to sleep. Isabel won’t sleep but came to explore our
tent.
| Isabel's first time in a tent! |
Alistair then left to get Isabel
some tea before joining me for drinks after the meal. I went to the Park for pre dinner
drinks. I spent the time before dinner
talking to Carl, Stevie, Martin & Sue.
| Ian, John & Jim |
| Carl |
At around 6:45 I got a call from
Alistair. There were spare spaces at the dinner and could I get him a ticket! So at dinner Alistair & I joined Carl
(who I’d persuade that as a first timer he really needed to experience the
Challenge dinner regardless of the food quality!) Alan, Andrew, Martin, Sue,
Sue O, Heather & Dave at the dinner.
| The Challenge dinner |
| The Challenge dinner |
The meal at the Park was surprising nice this time – the new chef
clearly was quite good. The
speeches were great with John doing a great job in his first time as
Coordinator! We all had a great
time! We then retired to the bar for
further drinks, banter and songs. I can't remember when I went back to the tent other than it was late!
The sign of a proper Challenge dinner is not remembering when you get back to your tent and normally it's not late but early morning.
ReplyDeleteIt could easily have been early morning I think it was either 12 or 1....
DeleteHOW many km...?!
ReplyDeleteI know you're now a officially a Rufty-Tufty Grade 'A' (Hons) Challenger, but 130km for a last day seems a bit much. Mind you, I suppose only 180m of ascent isn't too bad.
A good read - yet again, nice one.
JJ
Thanks for spotting the deliberate error - now corrected!
Delete