25.9km 1,110m of ascent
As my final training for the challenge I decide to backpack from Penrith to Windermere via High Street.
I'd previously done the reverse of this route in 2009 with Alistair and thought it would be good challenge preparation.
I set off on the early train from Stockport and arrived at Penrith at 9:30.
After walking to the outside of Penrith I followed the path through fields to Sockbridge.
I then followed the road to Celleron before turning off to follow the bridleway past Heughscar Hill.
As the path began rising I got excellent views of Ullswater and Great Dodd.
Part way up Brown Rigg I stopped to have lunch and a rest. Despite forecasts for showers it was relatively sunny most of the morning.
I regretted my amusement when Alistair suggested bringing suncream!
I then continued past Loadpot Hill and Wether Hill.
It seems I've become more acustom to the weight of the backpack as I wasn't anywhere near as tired as at Easter.
I stopped on Red Crag to call Alistair and check Isabel was OK, as she was very grumpy this morning. Alistair was still trying to get her to have a nap so I continued on. I reached the top of High Raise shortly after 3.
After taking a few photos I continued on to my final hill High Street. The ascent was finally beginning to get tiring so I didn't reach the summit until after 4.
There was now a cold sharp wind. I hoped my campspot wouldn't be too windy!
I continued on to Mardale Ill Bell before beginning to descend to Small Water.
After a quick break at the wind shelter I descended to Small Water.
The descend was much rockier than I remember so I only arrived at my camp spot at 5:30.
The spot was very nice (as shown in the photo) and relatively sheltered.
So I settled in to the tent and prepared dinner. After which I enjoyed some whisky.


No comments:
Post a Comment