Wednesday, 11 April 2012

Easter Backpack - day 2 Loch Chiarian to near Loch Eilde-More


Distance 21.7km 1140m ascent
 
Loch Eilde-More
After a late finish yesterday I had a slightly late start this morning setting off at 8.45. A little way along the east bank of the river I was able to ford the river to get on the footpath. At the Loch I met a group who were staying at the bothy for hillwalking. As I headed off towards Glas Bheinn the path got progressively worse. It was 11am before I reached the turn off for the Corbett - I realised that if I was going to reach my intended campsite at a sensible time I would have to abandon the Corbett. As I approached Loch Eilde-More I got great views of the Mamores and the Loch currently out the cloud. I finally reached the vehicle track alongside the Loch at 1 o'clock. After a quick lunch I set off up the path towards Coire an Lochain. It was a steep climb past a very nice waterfall. I eventually reached the lochan and stopped to refill my water. It was here a noticed I may have an issue with my planned route - it was much windier than I expected and I had planned a high camp! Despite being very tired at this point I decided to continue up a little further to get the weather forecast. Unfortunately the weather was going to decline with winds building through out the day and snow. I decided to retreat and follow my plan B - follow the West Highland Way. I dropped back down the path to Loch Eilde-More and continued allow the vehicle track towards Mamore Lodge. About 2 km before Mamore Lodge I found a very nice wildcamping spot just next the track where I spotted for tonight's dinner of chicken curry followed by some whisky.

No comments:

Post a Comment