Sunday, 15 April 2012

Easter backpack Day 3 - Near Mamore Lodge to Glen Nevis Campsite

Distance 24.2km ascent 760m

After a very wet and windy night I got up at 7am.  As it was still raining I spent some time trying to patch my waterproof trousers with gaffer tape.  Unfortunately as I had very wet trousers and wet gaffer tape it wasn't working.  As my attempts to patch them at home had clearly failed so quickly I resigned myself to buying new trousers before the challenge!  Eventually I decided that the rain wasn't going to stop any time soon so packed the tent up and set off at 8am.   After a short walk I reached Mamore Lodge Hotel. It seemed unfortunate that the hotel was now closed and unoccupied.  Shortly after this I joined the West Highland Way and could enjoy the view down to Kinlocheven.  The path was very well maintained and reasonably busy which made a change from yesterday!  The cloud continued to cover the peaks but in the gaps between the rain I was able to enjoy the pleasant scenery the route past.
Loch Leven



View towards Blarmachfoldach
Meall nan Cleireach




After lunch I reached Nevis forest and began the long descend into Glen Nevis.  I could see the Glen Nevis campsite as I descended and was pleased to see that there was space available. I arrived at the campsite at 2:30 and was pleased to see they had a cheaper rate for campers arriving on foot.  The campsite also had a bar on-site where I was able to get an evening meal (roast beef & baileys cheesecake) and some real ale (cairngorm brewery's cairngorm roggen and a beer by river).  It was nice to have a relaxing afternoon off.


The following morning I walked the 3.8km into Fort William to catch the train home.

No comments:

Post a Comment