Wednesday, 14 August 2013

Tuesday 30th July 2013: An evening walk up the Mam Tor ridge

Distance: 8.2km Ascent: 250m


Just over 4 weeks after Olivia's arrival I decided I felt up to a short evening walk.  So leaving Alistair to look after Olivia as Isabel went to bed, I set out for the Mam Tor car park.  The plan was to walk to Hollins cross and then probably return via the old road.  That may sound like a short walk but I had only had Olivia 4 weeks before and hadn't been given the all clear for exercise yet.

I set off about 19:45 and set off up Mam Tor.  From the top it was nice to see the lights hitting Kinder through the cloud (shown not particularly well in this photo from my phone).

Light over Kinder from Mam Tor
Descending Mam Tor there were great views over the rest of the ridge.
Lose Hill from Mam Tor
I made very quick progress to Hollins Cross.  At that point I decided that I was feeling well and there should still be just enough time to climb Lose Hill and retrace my steps before the light faded.  Whilst I've walked the Mam Tor Lose Hill ridge a lot of times I hadn't ascended Lose Hill from Mam Tor ridge so it was the first time I'd seen the view of Back Tor from the ridge.
Back Tor
I reached Lose Hill at sunset and after a quickly eating some chocolate started retracing my steps. 
Twilight
I just managed to make it through the woods near the car park before the light fully faded.  It was a great first walk after pregnancy.  I was pleased not to feel too tired after a pregnancy were I was unable to do much exercise.  Unfortunately Olivia decided to make me suffer that night by waking me up for an extra night feed!  However this didn't put me off planning my next evening walk.

4 comments:

  1. Good to see you're getting oot 'n aboot. I'll give you a ring re: beer.

    JJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wahey!!! She's out and about. Don't get too fit or me and Mr Walker won't be able to keep up.

    ReplyDelete