Wednesday, 26 September 2012

Friday 21st September 2012 – Gulvain


Distance: 20.6km Ascent: 1,490m Time taken 7 hours 50 including breaks


We had been spending the walk in Morar doing a series of short walks with Isabel and visiting the Isle of Eigg.  Most of these are written up on Alistair’s blog here.  When we visited the Isle of Eigg Alistair wanted to climb the peak but we didn’t think we could take Isabel in the carrier due to the timings and terrain.  So I suggested that I would look after Isabel on Eigg whilst Alistair climbed the hill in addition to his solo walk in the Glenfinnan Munros.  In return he let me choose the nicest day for my solo walk.  So as a result I found myself leaving Morar on the Friday morning on a cold but sunny day - the nicest day that week!

I left the car on a verge on the A861 just off the A830 and started along the vehicle track. The walk into Gulvain is relatively long but follows a river through a very nice wood.  As I approached Gulvain  it looked lovely in the morning light.
Woods on the walk in
Gulvain in the morning sun

Eventually I left the track for a path marked with a small cairn.  The path started to slowly rise before beginning the steep ascent with a series of switchbacks.  The ascent was fairly prolonged  (rising from 150m to 960m with little rest!) so I stopped for break part way up to enjoy the views.



 

Eventually I reached the South Top of Gulvain and had great views including along the ridge to the Gulvain summit.
Gulvain's South Top

View towards the summit
I wandered along the ridge to the summit and found it had fantastic 360 views.  I stopped for lunch and admired the views.  The weather was so nice and with fantastic views I didn’t want to leave the summit.  Unfortunately as we need to pack for the journey home that night I dragged myself away from the top.

Views from the summit



It was very nice having the hill to myself - It wasn’t until I was descending from the South Top that I met anyone else on the hill!  After retracing my steps I got back to the car at 4:10.  It had been a great day – I must try and get to Scotland more frequently next year!
 


.   

2 comments:

  1. I keep saying that myself Lyndsey. I must get to Scotland more often.
    You picked a good day for the walk. The views are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a good trip! Walking in Scotland is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete