Wednesday, 26 September 2012

Dales Backpack - Sunday 22nd July 2012 Fountains Fell to Clapham station

 Distance:  22.6km Ascent: 370m

It was forecast to only be light winds overnight – so it was unpleasant being woke up by the wind rushing through the tent at 5am.  By 6am I realised that I wasn’t going to get back to sleep so got up to have breakfast.  After packing up the tent  I headed down the Pennine Way heading towards Pen Y Ghent.  The views towards Pen Y Ghent on the way down were great!

Pen Y Ghent in the morning
Pen Y Ghent in the morning
 
Once I reached the ridge of Pen Y Ghent I headed down Gavel Rigg.  The route was already busy with 3 peaks walkers.  Having not seen anyone since leaving the road near Tennant’s Gill it was strange to be met by so many walkers. 

Eventually I arrived in Horton where I stopped at the Pen Y Ghent Café for a bacon buttie.  It was busy with 3 peaks yet to set off.  A couple asked me if I was on the 3 peaks – surprised by the size of my backpack!.  After finishing a very nice bacon buttie and getting more water in the café I headed towards the train station and started towards Sulber Nick. 

After a short distance I headed off towards Crummack Dale.  It was a lovely walk through Crummack Dale – lovely Dales scenery but hardy any people! Well worth a visit next time you are in the Dales!
















I continued via roads and bridle ways to Clapham station  which I reached just in time to catch the half one train home.

2 comments:

  1. If I had to pick one Dale, it would have to be Crummack. A delightfully tranquil spot.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was lovely! It's nice to discover such a quiet area not far from the 3 peaks!

    ReplyDelete